Together with Kensal Town, this area was a large wood which was a detached part of the Manor of Chelsea.
It belonged at one time to Lady Margaret Beaufort, the mother of Henry VII. Henry VIII gave it to his wife, Catherine Parr. His daughter, Queen Mary, gave it to one of her doctors. The succession of queens no doubt gave it its name. Henry VII’s mother used the income from the land to create professorships at Oxford and Cambridge Universities, and Doctor Hues, who bought from Queen Mary, used the income to support scholarships to Merton College Oxford.
The land was bought for development in the late 18th century by the Artisans, Labourers and General Dwellings Company, and between 1875 and 1881 they built the Victorian houses which still remain. There is a park further north, called the Queens Park, but it has nothing to do with the original Queens Park. It was created by the City of London in 1887.
The streets around Queens Park from Peploe Road to Salusbury Road are now a conservation area containing late Victorian and Edwardian houses. Kingswood Avenue, with views over the Park, has a very sought-after houses, as are those in Milman Road on the other side of the Park. The streets running between Kingswood Road and Salusbury Road are mainly terraces of smaller period houses, but there are some modern houses. Harvest Road, which is the southern boundary just north of the rail lines, also has some attractive terraced houses, but it is a busy street.