Felix Ladbroke leased the site for Horbury Crescent to William Chadwick in 1848. Building was commenced in 1855 by his son, W W Chadwick, who employed a builder, William Wheeler, to construct sixteen houses.
On the west side, No. 2, which faces onto Kensington Park Road, is the start of a terrace of even-numbered houses of Horbury Crescent, running up to No. 18. Each house has a basement and a raised ground floor, with a single large living room window next to the individual porches. There’s a continuous balcony along the front of the first-floor windows, opening out above the porches. There’s no decoration other than curved brackets supporting a simple architrave. Then there are second and third storeys above that. Nos. 22-28 are without the third storey or the shared balcony.
On the east side, No. 1, at the start of the terrace, looks like an individually built house. It’s on four storeys and stucco-faced. Nos. 3-13 is a terrace of houses on four storeys. There are simple architraves on brackets over the raised ground floor entrance doors, and all the houses have stone effect incising in the plaster work at ground floor level. The houses are mainly bare-brick faced for the first and second storeys, although the window surrounds are stuccoed-painted, and the whole of the facade of Nos. 11 and 13 is painted. There are no balconies, but the first-floor windows have little ledges for plant pots. They are relatively small houses (for the area).